Registration Process

Once a student is accepted to the charter school, registration materials must be completed and kept in a folder separate from the student’s cumulative record folder. If a student withdraws from the charter school, only the student’s cumulative record should follow the student to another in-district school. The registration information should remain at the school. Original cumulative records may not be sent to private schools or schools out of the district. A copy of the cumulative record contents may be sent at the parent’s request.

Step 1: Required Registration Form Student Registration Packet

1. School Registration Form:

This form contains all personal and family information for the student. This form should be placed at the front of the student file.

2. Record Request Form Completed:

A copy of this form should be made and placed in a binder, alphabetically by grade level. The original should be sent to the student’s previous school to request the cumulative record. When the cumulative record arrives, the copy of the Student Record Request in the binder should be marked as received and folded in half. This copy must remain in the binder. If the cumulative folder information is not provided within a reasonable time period, an additional copy of the Student Record Request should be made, marked second notice and sent to the student’s previous school.

3. Emergency Card:

The Emergency card must be completed by the parent/guardian. The completed cards must be kept in a separate file box that is easily removed from the school in the event of an emergency. The information contained on the Emergency Card is confidential and should be kept in a safe place. Only those persons listed on the Emergency Card may pick up a student from the school. In the event a parent/guardian calls the school for the student to be released to someone other than those listed on the card, some schools state that the parent must provide a written note with their driver’s license attached via fax. You may wish to use the same policy. Under no other circumstances should a child be released from school to someone other than those listed on the card.

4. Authorization for Medication:

The Authorization for Medicationis valid only for the current school year.  A separate form must be on file for each prescription or non-prescription medication. The form must be kept in a confidential notebook with a spreadsheet showing the dates and times the medication was distributed.

Medical treatment which consists of medication is the responsibility of the parent and the family physician and should rarely be given by school personnel. The only exception is when it is deemed necessary by the family physician and parent that medication be administered during school hours.  This form should only be completed in the event a student must take medication while at school. Each school should have at least two employees trained in the administration of medication to students. No other employee may give medication to a student. When medications must be administered during the school day, the medication must be delivered to the Administrative Assistant/School Nurse in the original container, properly labeled by the pharmacy or physician, stating the name of the student, the medication, the dosage, and current date. Prior to administering the medication, the physician and parent must complete and sign the Authorization for Medication form. This form, with signatures of both the physician and the parent, must also be on file before administering routine over-the-counter medications to students.

Parents and family physicians are encouraged to work out a schedule of giving medication outside of school hours. Medications include all over the counter medications and bronchial inhalers. The school will not accept any medication containing aspirin, such as children’s aspirin, Pepto-Bismol, or headache medications such as Excedrin and its generic, unless there is a written physician’s authorization. The school will not accept any non-FDA approved medication without written physician’s authorization. There may be situations where medication may not be administered at school.

Prescription Medications:

The prescription bottle information must match the information on the Medical Authorization form. The medicine prescribed for the student shall come in the original container and shall be labeled with the following information:

The student’s name (If there is a name discrepancy, the parent/guardian must list on permission form)

– Name of health care provider and phone number

– Name of medication

– Issue date of the medication

– Expiration date

– Dosage to be given

– Route of the medication (by mouth, etc.)

– How often to give medication and duration of administration of the medication (i.e. for 10 days)

– Specific recommendations such as with or without food and any precautions such as “May cause drowsiness”.

– A beginning and ending date for administration of the medication (if applies to entire school year indicate dates of the school year, i.e. begin date medicine brought to school and the end of the school year).

– Storage requirements

Non-prescription Medication:

Students requiring over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for a temporary medical condition (i.e. cough and cold medicines, pain relievers, allergy medicines, skin conditions, etc.) do not need a written health care provider order for the first five (5) days of medicine administration, although the Medication Permission Form must still be completed by the parent/guardian.

Dosage shall not exceed recommended amount printed on the container and/or package without a health care provider’s written order.

When the five (5) day window expires for parent-approved over-the-counter medication, a written health care provider’s authorization is necessary in order for the medication to be continued.  A parent may not “renew” the medication for another five (5) days.

After five (5) days, the over-the-counter medication becomes a prescribed medication authorized by the health care provider.  Only written and signed prescriptions will be accepted as valid medication orders.

5. Parent Contract:

This document outline the obligation of parents who choose to send their child to the charter school. A signed original should remain in the student’s registration file.

6. Student Contract:

This document outlines the obligation of the student. A signed original should remain in the student’s registration file.

7. Technology Policy:

Administrators, teachers, library media specialists, and students must monitor the use of technologies for grade-level and content appropriateness, ethics, and safety.

Schools are required to establish guidelines for appropriate technology use. By definition, an Acceptable Use Policy is a written agreement signed by students and their parents/guardians. It outlines the terms and conditions for using technology-based devices maintained by schools on school property.

8. Photo and Video Release:

This document must be signed by the parent/guardian in order for student photographs to be published in a school document or for public distribution. Written parental permission is required for publish an identifiable student information, photos, names, and work.

9. Home Language Survey:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 Title VI, Language Minority Compliance Procedures, requires school districts/charter schools to identify Limited English proficient (LEP) students. The Home Language Survey is to be included as part of the student registration packet for enrollment, and serves as the document that will determine a student’s status as language minority.

If a language other than English is indicated for any of the questions, the student is considered to be a language minority student. Once this determination has been made, the following must occur:

– Upon identification as language minority on the Home Language Survey, the formal English proficiency assessment test must be administered. Each spring, all ELL students must participate in an English proficiency assessment.

– Newly-enrolling students must be assessed for identification as ELL within thirty (30) days of enrollment at the beginning of the school year or within two (2) weeks during the school year.

– The results of the proficiency test will correlate to a level (1-5) of English proficiency, and may be used to measure annual growth.

10. Student Disclosure Form:

Parents must complete this form to remain in the student’s registration file.

11. Special Education Program Information:

This form is necessary to insure appropriate placement for ESE students. There may be certain situations when the charter school is not the appropriate placement in the least restrictive environment. The school’s ESE Specialist must review each Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Plan prior to acceptance.

12. Bus Transportation Request Form: (when applicable)

The bus transportation form is required only if a parent requires transportation to school, from school, or both for the student. The transportation provider will determine routes and pick-up/drop-off times for students and the parent will be notified regarding transportation via a post card prior to the start of school.

Step 2: Health Record and Immunizations

All new students entering the charter school for the first time must have a completed Florida Certificate of Immunization (DOH 680) appropriate for their grade level.

All new students entering the charter school for the first time must have a school health examination certificate signed by a licensed examiner (certificate must have been issued within 12 months prior to enrollment/registration). The Florida Certificate of Immunization must be completed by the student’s medical doctor or the local health clinic, a chiropractor is not acceptable.

Step 3: Proof of Age and Residency

The parent/guardian must present one of the following items: utility bill for power, water, cable, sewer or land-based telephone (not cellular); rental agreement or lease; closing document; County tax statement with a homestead exemption. The item must be recent and contain the name of the parent/guardian and service address on it.

Step 4: Academic Records

Parent/guardian must provide a copy of the student’s academic information as follows.

The charter school will request the “official” records from the student’s previous school. Since these records often do not arrive at the school until weeks after the start of school the student’s most recent report card (for students entering grades 1-12), if available, including the school’s address and phone number must be submitted. This is particularly true if the student is transferring from out of the state, out of county or attending from a private school.

The parent/guardian must provide the following:

  1. Copy of most recent report card.
  2. Copy of any standardized testing results including FCAT.
  3. Copy of IEP (if the student is ESE)
  4. Copy of 504 Plan (if student previously received accommodations resulting from a Section 504 Plan).

Step 5: Address and Emergency Contact Changes

In order for students to be happy and successful at school, parent/guardians are required to provide up-to-date contact information in the event a concern or emergency arises.